Sonntag, 18. Juli 2010

Day 5 Alta – Northcape – Alta: 480 km

So today brings the core part of the whole tour but my departure in the morning is late as I discover that the battery pack of my camera is empty and I was stupid enough not to bring a charger and charging via USB does not work. Going to the cape and not taking any pictures does not seem an option to me so I pay a visit to what could well be the world's northernmost electronics retailer; to my surprise I find a good cam that does not seem to carry a totally ridiculous price tag - deal done then and off to the cape. It's close to noon already but the weather is absolutely terriffic with 20 degrees centigrade, much better than the day before and the days to come.

The scenery is pretty impressive and I am positively surprised how thrilling a drive this ultimate piece of my journey north is. Plenty of reindeer though so I need to remain alert; at the gas station I buy some reindeer jerky and dried stockfish, both of which are not really snacks I would recommend though.

The Northcape is actually located on the island of Mageroya, which is connected to mainland Norway via a tunnel that digs down 212 metres below sea level; at latitude
71° 10’ 21’’ it is Europe's northernmost point to reach by car. Ever since having been discovered in the 16th century by a British expedition during their quest for the north-east passage towards China it was said to be the northernmost tip of Europe, which in fact it isn't and discussions are still going on which point actually can claim that title. In any case, it is an extreme point: the arctic circle lies 520 kilometres south, the north pole is some 2.100 kilometres furhter north. The cape itself is not any more spectacular than many other fjords I have seen on my journey so far but it is nevertheless a very special feeling to stand on the tip of it any enjoy the view, wondering about the slightly surreal fact that within four and a half days the GT3 has brought me here from Austria, over 4.150 kilometres without the slightest problem...

Originally I had planned to travel back south further than to Alta, today's starting point, but with the late departure and some two hours spent on the cape I decide to stay in Alta for another night. My hotel this night however is right in the 'centre' of the city that is crowded with people this Saturday evening. It's pretty obviously party time with all sorts of people enjoying a pint (or two or three). Again, that is a surreal thing as the sun doesn't go down, at midnight it feels like 5pm and the prices for all sorts of alcohol is pretty incredible. I go to sleep half past midnight - or try to as some sunrays still enter my room.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen