Montag, 19. Juli 2010

Day 6 Alta - Narvik: 550 km

After an only modestly recreative night and a much more refreshing breakfast in a room with a view to Alta's 'city centre' that features a Sami walking around somewhat erratically in his traditional costume I start today's trip. The weather is unimpressive, it rains. Passing by Alta Museum that includes a world heritage site of Stone Age petrographics (for which, of course, I don't have any time) I continue towards Narvik. The road is of varying quality with sometimes remarkable grooves and holes and the weather is extremely unsettled. After a short period of foehn and plus 20 centigrade the next pass greets me with 10 degrees and Flood-like rain; average speed is not really impressive.

The landscape however is just terriffic and includes all stereotypes I might have had of Scandinavia: deep fjords, elevated passes, glaciers, snow fields, waterfalls - it's all there and leaves me speechless (not that there would be anyone around to talk to anyway).

At around 8 pm I hit Narvik, a strange city characterized by its role as a major shipping harbor for iron ore that became infamous during WWII. I am exhausted, after dinner I go to bed immediately.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen